I’ve just returned from SaaStr Europa in Barcelona. During the two-day event, I connected with customers and heard from industry peers, SaaS founders, and the investor community. I also had an opportunity to take the stage and discuss a topic near and dear to my heart: data-oriented product design.
With over 30 hours of content, over 60 speakers, and lots of inspiring SaaS talk, there were several learnings and insights gleaned. To summarize though, here are my top takeaways from SaaStr Europa:
- Customers expect a consumer-grade user experience (UX) now more than ever…starting with the onboarding experience, which should be a majority of your product team’s focus, and continuing with product-led growth. But what exactly is product-led growth?
- Very simply put, product-led growth (PLG) is a go-to-market motion that relies on a product (and its excellent user experience) to drive a company’s growth and all its funnel stages. The app itself, rather than ad dollars or sales outreach, is the engine.
- Organic discovery, viral loops, and network effects play important roles. This makes PLG a relatively cost-effective growth strategy, not having to rely on hiring more sales reps and spending a bigger marketing budget. PLG will most likely require more R&D money to create a great product, but then it can scale.
- Start with a free product experience, then layer on a sales-assisted track for enterprise leads.
- Begin as a sales-led company, then add a freemium or free trial product a few years in.
- Use product to drive all net new revenue; only use sales and customer success teams to drive expansion revenue.]
Keep your eyes peeled for the SaaStr Europa 2022 sessions going live on the SaaStr YouTube page in the coming weeks to get more in-depth insights from myself & the other SaaS executives, founders, and entrepreneurs!